Robot Rage Survivors Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

robot rage survivors rr2 rearmed

HomeLatest imagesRR ChatRegisterLog in

Book Reviews

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Movie review, songs, and other miscellaneous entertaining topics, but no book review thread?
Anyways, i just purchased a kindle, and i read alot so i wanted to start a book review thread. Here it goes...
Book Reviews Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8-lJG1cwa4QJLRv8hhBmsyrX7dGzgkUds-9Hf9h0ir7WKTvYYBA&t=1
A classic Sci-Fi book from the 80's, Enders Game starts off on earth, where humans are paranoid of another bugger attack. 60 years ago, earth was almost taken by this alien race, the buggers. They fear the attack will come soon and they need a hero to command the fleet.

Andrew Wiggin, also known as Ender Wiggin, is being monitored by the government to see if he has what it takes. His insane older brother was too unpredictable, his sister doesnt have the guts to command the fleet. Ender, a mix of the both, is Earths last hope. When he stops being monitored, he gets into problems with bullies.

With constant stress on Ender, can he handle the daily issues? Blood will be shed, yet he is not prepared. Huge plot twists, this is a great book to read.
9/10
Back to top Go down
digit
Add mint
digit

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Nice thread hat! I might post some here later! (Added Rep)
Back to top Go down
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 9:13 pm

what are points? fail points? i see them @ your profile, but not mine.
anyways, dont continue on this points topic, continue on books topics... kthnks
Back to top Go down
2D4
Critique Extraordinaire
2D4

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 3:30 am

Very kool topic Hat, I may post a bookreview as soon as I have one, any kind of books I presume ? It's only right you start this thread since I start way too many allready anyways and I used to read some but nowadays I am lazy and laptopbound. Well, I voted for you
Back to top Go down
TRC
RR Beginner
TRC

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:00 am

Hat, read the Foundation Saga, or the Nightfall short stories by Isaac Asimov, you'll love them!
Back to top Go down
2D4
Critique Extraordinaire
2D4

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Jack Vance ~ The Demon Princes   Book Reviews EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 am

Isaac Asimov, isn't that a scifi writer ?

This is a review on Jack Vance ~ The Demon Princes (5 evil princes) scifi writer Jack Vance is one of a kind. All 5 books that make up Demon Princes are connected by the vengeance theme that drives the hero Kirth Gersen from Earth (that actually sounds like a Dutch name .. lmao) to hunt and kill these perverted and powerful individuals that once upon a time teamed up to murder most of his family and sell the rest as slaves. I loved all 5 but my favorite is " The book of dreams " With Howard Alan Treesong who is a special kind of schizophrenic and derives vast power from his (imaginary ?) friends. This is an excerpt from wikipedia:

THE SEVEN PALADINS

These, the main protagonists of Treesong's Book of Dreams, are distinct in colour and personality, as follows:

Immir, of no colour, is the most complete and rounded personality of the seven. He is the leader and heart and soul of the Seven. (wrong .. he's the rainbow man)

Jeha Rais the Black is the war general and strategist.

Loris Hohenger the Red is the warrior, also a "lover" at least in a virile and macho sense; supposedly "ladies deny him at great risk to their dignity" but "look after him longingly" once he is done.

Mewness the green is the clever problem-solver, the one who finds a way of escape when all routes are blocked.

Rhune Fader the Blue is gentle and merciful, though "alas" seldom heeded in battle council.

Spangleway the Yellow is the merry jester and trickster, but an inventive and formidable enemy.

Eia Panice the White is cold, ruthless and dreadful; his smile is seldom seen, and to be feared.

If you get to read Vance you will find that he actually manages to make you laugh without making the story become ridiculous.You can start with any of the 5 books, they read independantly. This read is by no means far fetched or outlandish, like many Fantasy books are and it all remains logical and keeps making sense. I highly recommend this series of 5 books, especially if you are not a girl.

Book Reviews 40911Book Reviews Bookofdreams

I will leave you with a few lines from the book of dreams.

" I can see the outlines; there are ways to control the beast. But I have much to learn. Fear, panic, terror: they are like wild giants who must be conquered and enslaved to my service. It shall be done. Wherever I go they will follow at my heels, unseen and unknown until I command. "

8.5/10

Last edited by 2D4 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 3:17 am

Thats nice man, thanks. I will probably buy that, ( after im done my 5 books, so thats on my waiting list.)
Il review your review.

-*If you have read a book featured, please say if its worth reading. Two opinions are better than one!*-
Back to top Go down
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Book Reviews 160px-Speaker_dead_cover
3000 years later, Ender is teaching on a far off planet, when a far off planet, Lusitania is in the news all over the 100 worlds. A Xenologer, has been killed violently by the native aliens, the Pequinos. Before this they had been peaceful, and did not hurt any other human. Can they be reasoned with? Ender sets out to this planet, to investigate. But things have changed since then...
Book Reviews 160px-Xenocide_cover
I dont want to give away any more spoilers, if you even read the books. But here are the other two books...
Book Reviews 160px-Children_mind_cover
Back to top Go down
2D4
Critique Extraordinaire
2D4

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Nice .. I think I will read one of them soon. Are they in a special sequence ?
Back to top Go down
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 pm

Yes, I did them in order.
You should pay attention when reading them, I learned alot of lessons from them.
Enders game1#
Speaker for the dead#2
Xenocide#3
Chilren Of The Mind#4

*warning, im a hypocrite*
STOP POSTING IF ITS NOT A REVIEW, AS OF NOW. Clearly, as you can see im a moderator, so I can ban you.
Back to top Go down
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 3:23 am

Hey IGIT, could you STOP invading peoples posts? Abuse of power...

Thanks!

Im reading "A song of fire and ice series," finished the first (A game of thrones) And it was great, but the start was kind of boring. Also sex scenes were so not needed, especially if its a dwarf. This book alternates between a few characters, The lord of winterfell, 3 of his sons, 2 of his daughters, A highborn dwarf and... a someone else. Anyways a great read. BTW if you read this, the hound is a guy, i thought he was a big talking dog...
Back to top Go down
2D4
Critique Extraordinaire
2D4

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 5:50 am

~ George Orwell Full Audiobook Smile

Link to site with playlist
http://archive.org/details/George-Orwell-1984-Audio-book
Back to top Go down
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 pm

I read that book a while ago. People call it a classic, but really it wasnt that good. The middle was pointless. As much as I liked the ending, I would rate it 7/10.
Back to top Go down
2D4
Critique Extraordinaire
2D4

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 2:53 am

I agree with you .. in fact I was glad it was over, it started to depress me. It seemed to warn against something but failed to give any solution or hope .. I had the distinct impression that big brother was stronger and smarter It seems big brother won. The scene with the secret lovemeetings was kind of sweet but it did not last. The message seemed to be that love is pointless, the natural state of man is bad and that logic can't be trusted. Why
Back to top Go down
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 2:18 pm

I dont think its about "love never lasts" I think its more focused to saying how shitty things can get if the government starts to rule everything. I dunno, im not an expert.
Back to top Go down
2D4
Critique Extraordinaire
2D4

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 5:03 pm

You could be right, it's just that big brother felt a little too all powerfull. Maybe that was the warning against the government, just a real pity the romance didn't last
Back to top Go down
TheHat
H€®Ø
TheHat

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:26 am

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

That line made the book.
Back to top Go down
2D4
Critique Extraordinaire
2D4

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 2:37 am

How is that a victory lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviews   Book Reviews Empty